Struggling to get your growing child interested in fruits and veggies? Well, you are not alone because this is a big challenge for most toddler parents. There is a lot of advice out there on how to encourage your child to eat fruits and veggies, but no good tool that can help you succeed. That is why I was super excited to get this handy kit from Kia Robertson of Today I Ate A Rainbow!TM. She has developed this tool especially for young children to get them excited about fruits and veggies. It is a very simple colorful chart you can post on a refrigerator or a magnetic board. The chart has 5 columns corresponding to different colored fruits and veggies – red, orange, yellow, green and blue/purple. Using color coded round or square shaped magnets, you can teach your child to track his intake of fruits and veggies during the day. If they complete all 5 colors, they get a reward sticker!
We had a lot of fun with our twins the other night who found it fun as they tried fruits and veggies of these 5 different colors just to be able to stick those magnets on the chart.
My son picked the square shaped magnets while his sister got the round ones.
Here is what we like about this product –
- It works!
- It is simple and colorful
- Kids love it and get a sense of accomplishment
- They learn about different colored fruits and veggies
- The kit also contains a very nice illustrated book “The Rainbow Bunch” written by Kia Robertson, perfect for bed time reading to reinforce the idea of eating fruits and veggies
- There is a blank shopping list you can use to involve your kids in selecting their favorite fruits and veggies
Here is what we don’t like about this product –
- The kit is supposed to have 4 sets of distinct round and square magnets for family of upto 4 children to track their progress. We found it a little confusing because it was not easy to separate them in groups. Still, it worked out for us since we have only 2 and we decided to play round magnets vs. square magnets.
- If you have a stainless steel fridge, like we do, the magnets will not work. We decided to use a small magnetic dry erase board instead.
Overall, we love this product and will continue using it as long as our twins remain excited about it! Check out the Today I Ate A Rainbow!TM website for details.
Disclaimer – The Today I Ate My Rainbow!TM kit was sent as a gift to us for this review. Our opinions are based on our personal experience.